Monday, December 1, 2008

25 Days of Christmas: Number 24

Number 24

My Christmas Advent Calendar.


My family and I used to live in Germany because my dad was stationed there for three years with the Army. When we lived there my mom bought us a chocolate advent calendar to count down the days till Christmas. Every day I would get so excited to open up a little window and pull out the piece of German Chocolate nestled in it's little hole. I always tried to guess what it was going to be. You see, each chocolate took on a different Christmas theme. There were candles and presents, dolls and snowflakes, stars and trains. I loved, loved, loved it. I had to share it with my siblings though, so I would only get to open it every third day. My mom wised up after a year or so and bought us each our own calendar.

As I got older, my mom stopped buying the calendars for Timmy and Heather, but I wouldn't let her stop with me. Even in college through today. One year she bought one for my nephew Jacob and not for me! Don't you know she got quite the display of tears.

Side Note: You can find these calendars everywhere, but normally you find the inauthentic "Americanized" version of the European variety. Don't buy it. It's not the same...ever.

You may have to search for it, but it's worth the effort to find the original German Chocolate Advent Calendar.

No comments: