Thursday, December 18, 2008

25 Days of Christmas: Number 7

Number 7.

Mistletoe.


First things first...I can't believe it's Christmas Day in ONE week. Are you ready? Ready for the gifts? Ready for the family (eek)? Ready for Jesus' birth? Good.

I think I am.

Mistletoe. What a wonderous, mysterious tradition we have found in mistletoe. I don't quite understand the story behind it. Let's just discuss what it actually is:

Mistletoe is a poisonous plant that causes acute gatrointestinal problems including stomach pain, and diarrhea along with low pulse

Regardless, I think it's a fun and exciting tradition.

Here's why we kiss under this poisonous plant...

According to a custom of Christmas cheer, any two people who meet under a hanging of mistletoe are obliged to kiss. The custom is Scandinavian in origin.[12] It was the plant of peace in Scandinavian antiquity. If enemies met by chance beneath it in a forest, they laid down their arms and maintained a truce until the next day." This ancient Scandinavian custom led to the tradition of kissing under the mistletoe.


* I found this information at http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistletoe

No comments: