Thursday, December 11, 2008

25 Days of Christmas: Number 14

Number 14.

O Holy Night.

I was in my car this morning driving to work and I was listening to "O Holy Night" on my ipod. It was the version sung by Avril Lavigne and Chantal Kreviazuk. It's actually a beautiful version of this song.

This is my favorite Christmas Carol. Absolute favorite. But this morning I was really listening to the lyrics and thinking about them and I just started crying. When I actually went through it line by line, I was just so in awe of God and the simplicity of the gospel. So, I thought I would share the insight I got this morning.


O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
The star that pointed the Wisemen towards the birthplace of Jesus. It shown clear and bright that night. And Jesus, He still shines like that star. Pointing people towards Him. Yes, the cliche is true. Wisemen still do seek Him.

It is the night of our dear Savior's birth.
It is Jesus' birth we celebrate. A Savior came. To seek and save what was lost. He came as a baby. So, why has it become about me and what I want?

Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Yes, the world needed a Savior. Yes, I need a Savior. I need someone to come and save me everyday from my own wretchedness. I am quite literally pining for someone to rescue me. Just like this world still aches for Someone to come and whisk it away from the pits it has dug.

'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
He appeared and now I have been rescued from my sin. The sin that entangles me. For the first time, I have a purpose. I know that I am loved. He has placed a value on me because He created me and then came to save me and give me worth. To finally live my life for a reason and not just for me.

A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
On that day, there was a new hope! He is finally here! And, on the day that I finally accepted Him into my heart, there was a thrill of hope. Finally. Finally, I had been rescued. Finally, I could start hoping for a new future. Finally, I could rest assuredly that I was loved. His mercies are made new every morning. Praise God that I don't have to go back to my old ways. Praise God that there is always hope!

Fall on your knees! O, hear the angels' voices!

Repentance. In a nutshell. What is my natural response for when I finally can see the Truth? When I wipe away all the tears of frustration? Wipe away the sin? Wipe away myself? The only thing to do is to fall on my knees in prayer. In repentance and rest is my salvation. And hear the angel's voices glorifying Jesus. Singing songs of joy! Just like we do when we finally get it.


O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.

It was a divine night indeed. It was set apart. For the Savior had finally entered the world. He was here, the one that had been the desire of the nations. The one that prophets foretold of His coming.


Truly He taught us to love one another;
"Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Matthew 22:37-40

His law is love and His gospel is peace.
His gospel is peace. Peace. Oh, the simplicity of it all. He is peace. Peace with each other. Peace within oursleves. Peace in our circumstances. Peace in Him.

Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
He came to bind up the broken hearted. To release prisoners. To set the captive free. Yes, he came to restore us to a right relationship with Him. And yes, we should look at others as our brother or sister. But He came to preach this good news that there is freedom from the chains of addiction and sin.

Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.
They are so sweet to sing. To worship God for all He has done. We worship Him for who He is, but we remember His gospel, His peace, His freedom, His love.

Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever,
His power and glory evermore proclaim.
His power and glory evermore proclaim.


Forever. And ever. His glory will reign. He is the King. Praise God that He is Sovreign over it all. And for that reason, we have peace. We proclaim this King and His gospel because our souls have finally found worth.

It's the gospel message in the form of a Christmas song. It's the most beautiful message ever. Think about it. I hope it penetrates your heart this year.

1 comment:

Noah Wood - A Maryland Runner said...

That's awesome you were able to take the meaning of the Gospel from that song, especially one that is so common around Christmas time. Merry Christmas Jennifer :)