Friday, November 7, 2008

Modern Day Ruth

I just found this in my old blog...I wrote it in April of 2005. Enjoy.


So, I have been reading a lot about Ruth lately. She happens to be one of my favorite women in the Bible. I think that if I could be anyone in the Bible, besides Jesus, it would be Ruth. I have always admired her strength and grace. After Ruth's husband dies, she has a choice of either staying in Moab, or moving with Naomi (her mother-in-law) back to Judah. This took a lot of courage because:
1) Ruth was from Moab, sworn enemies to the people of Judah (Deut 23:3)
2) It was a new country and was unfamiliar
3) The chances of her finding another husband were slime to none if she followed Naomi
4) She was choosing to follow Naomi's God, the God of Israel, over the Moab idols

I admire her courage.

Ok, but here is something new. I always got so confused by the part where Ruth goes to visit Boaz (for the complete story read the book of Ruth). I always wondered how that part plays out in my life. I always thought that as a woman I was supposed to be the responder to a man. He initiates and I respond. That certainly makes sense since the man is supposed to be the leader of the relationship. But, here I am reading this book by John Eldredge and he is giving me insight I never expected. Ruth waits till Boaz is done eating and drinking and is in "good spirits" and approaches him and lays down at his feet, symbolic of asking the man to be her covering in marriage. This was appropriate because he was considered to be her kinsman-redeemer. She chose to follow God and not search for a husband and yet still ended up being blessed.

But here's the thing, she was vulnerable.

She could either cover it up or allow herself to be secluded by the walls she puts up around her heart. I think I fall into the second category of building walls, all the while screaming for someone to rescue me from my own prison. Fear convinces me that I have to protect myself, and that fear makes me a prisoner to being alone. If I were vulnerable, I would not be a prisoner any longer, because someone (Jesus and Boaz) will come and see my need.But Ruth dared to be vulnerable. She is so much braver than I am. She knew she had everything to gain and nothing to lose. I feel like that was me before I went to New Staff Training. I had to become really vulnerable to go and do something that was so outside of myself to be able to do what I really wanted to do (be in full-time ministry) and be on the other side of my question "What would happen if I went?".When it comes to my Boaz, I need to be less prideful. It's about of being vulnerable, open to others, not stand-offish and closed off, but it's about being transparent. I do need to be transparent in times of greatest need, to let someone know of my need for him. He will either say "I can't supply that need" or "I am willing to give to your need". I still leave room for him to be the man and lead, I am just being a little more vulnerable than I thought I was supposed to be. I know that Ruth was praised as a woman who loved God and was open to what he wanted for her life. I too, want to be open and ready for someone to say "I will rescue you". She needed to be rescued financially and emotionally, to be taken care of. I need to be rescued from those same things. But when pride gets in the way, that's all anyone can see and I am only hurting my chances of someone being able to look inside of me to see the real me. So, I will:

Be honest about my needs
Understand I am a dependant being (on God and fellowship)
Realize my pride will rob me of vital relationships
Embrace the concept of community
Allow others to give to me to add value to their lives
Share feelings, needs, fears, victories, and resources

(This has been my response to both John Eldredge's Wild At Heart and Michelle Mckinney Hammond's The Diva Principle, both amazing Christian authors)

No comments: