Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Meet the Fockel's

Well friends, I'm back. Sorry for the hiatus, but I took a little trip all the way to Wisconsin! Dan took me home to meet his family and to visit where he grew up and I must say it was a fantastic trip. It was my very own "Meet the Fockel's". Seriously. And while nothing ridiculous happened to me while I was meeting all the Fockel's and other extended family members, it was just as exciting for other reasons. I mean, I didn't catch any rooms on fire, or clog toliets, or even clumsily hurt any of the furniture (which if you know me but at all, you know I am prone to do such).

Days before we left, Dan kept sending me the weather forecast. It's "-7 degrees back home" or "it's starting to warm up and its now 9 degrees". Sheesh. I was prepared for the bitter cold, but it really wasn't too bad. Honest. Usually the cold only gets to me on work days when I have to leave my house before the sun is up and scrape off my car and am forced to be in the cold. Otherwise it's not too bad. Especially if you are prepared.

Speaking of prepared, I was ready to meet the Fockel's! But nothing could have prepared me to meet some of the warmest people ever. And I am not just saying that because some of them read my blog, either :) Honestly, I didn't realize that people that sweet existed!

We had a great time. Dan got to show me around the city of Milwaukee as well as his schools, where the Milwaukee Brewers play, and various other places he would go when he was younger. I simply love visiting places that have history. Growing up as an Army brat doesn't really afford you a place to have roots really. All my friends growing up are scattered over various parts of the world now. So, it was wonderful to see places that mean a lot to him.

So, yeah. I got to meet the whole family! They even graciously allowed me to catch the Raven's game, even though we lost. Boo.

And Sunday, quite literally, the whole family came over for a look see. They all wanted to meet me I suppose, and it was an honor to be there. Really.

So, all that said. I had a fabulous time and now it's back to the daily grind of life.

Hopefully, I will have something to report on soonish. Until then...

No comments: