Wednesday, January 7, 2009

All Things Irish

I attempted to put my pictures of Ireland at the end of this blog, but when you upload them, they automatically get uploaded to the beginning of the blog, so I am too lazy to move them all down. This blog, therefore, will be a bit backwards.
Bono created this small chain resturant called "Nude". It's like the Irish version of Panera Bread. Didn't eat there, but took a picture and thought it looked rather posh.
They call it "child minding" in Ireland, not "babysitting", so I thought this was a neat sign on the back of an Ice Cream Truck.
While I did not get to actually drive this car, I got very excited to be in it. I did however, get to sit in the passenger's seat of a van and it was the absolute oddest driving experience ever.


Me. At the Celli. It's an Irish Dance. We were taught some steps and we had so much fun dancing the night away. I must say I got pretty good. Also, I am wearing a hat someone (forget who) brought with them. It's rather silly, but so fun to wear!



This was a cute little fruit/smoothie/tiny grocery store in Greystone's where we stayed. It is called the "Happy Pear" and you know what? It did make me happy.




I love all things Irish. Did you know?



I have blogged about many things, so how could I have failed to report on my love for the Irish culture and people before now?



It's a shame. I am ashamed of myself. Really.



Anywho, I was listening to some awesome Irish rock bands in my car today and remembered watching a small clip of the Irish step dancers last night on hulu. Then I remembered my trip to Ireland in the summer of 2007 (missions trip through my sister's church). And I just got this sense of excitement! And I had to share it with you.



I don't know when this fascination started for me. Was it in grade school learning about the country's history?

Was it when I realized I am part Irish? (Which I have decided to make a huge deal about...I gotta be proud of my celtic roots!!!)


Was it when I realized I fell in love with an Irishmen?



Tricked you with the last one, I have never been in love with an Irishmen. Ah, except Liam Neeson, actor and Irish.


Was it when I heard some Irish music one day and realized that I liked bagpipes and celtic sounds?



Who can really say.



All I know is that my blood runs green.



When I had the amazing opportunity to visit the beautiful island, I stepped off the plane with my mouth wide open in awe and adoration. I don't think it shut closed until we landed back in DC. We actually flew over sheep grazing in meadows!! Just like you see in the quientessential movie clips or photos.



There were castles and old stone buildings, still standing after centuries of wear. There was lush mountain sides and cute little towns with cottages all in a row. There were even tiny houses built for hobbits! I swear. These houses were so small, you would have to duck to get through the door. And the houses were draped with beautiful flowers and landscape. Your thinking that's rubbish? Maybe I stumbled into a nice neighborhood? No, they just take such good care of themselves and their houses.



While there, I learned many things including:



people are more important than time (it;s the opposite in America), so chances are if you stop by a friend's house to "drop something off", you will be forced in for tea and cookies



driving on the road is interesnting to say the least



they are a very friendly people



their accents are ADORABLE



Until I can go back, I suppose the closest I will get to the country again is visiting Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg, VA.

Which I love, by the way...










No comments: