Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Name is Jenny and I Love Halloween

Ok, I confess. Did you know that I love all things Halloween? I sometimes wonder what I would be like if I did not have Jesus in my life. Would I be into witch craft and all sorts of dark things only matched by the evil found in the movie The Craft?

Doubtful.

But I also confess that I have always been intrigued by Halloween, even as a little girl. Growing up as the daughter of an Army Chaplin, for all you non-miltary folk that's like a pastor, I always loved October 31st.

Was it the fact that we were allowed to wear costumes in school and every work related task had to do with the Day of the Dead? Words Searches. Halloween songs in music class (I loved the one about the old woman who found a skeleton in the closet). Stories about haunted houses and scary bats, vampires, and witches.

Maybe.

Or was it because I could pretend to be someone I wasn't, if just for the day? Angels. Princesses. Fairies. Witches. And as I got older, fun movie characters like Mary Catherine Gallagher from Superstar.

Perhaps.

Was it the fact that I was allowed to stay up past my bed time and then on top of that, stay up even later to eat some candy before bed?

Possibly.

Was it because there were all sorts of special shows on TV that featured scary goblins, witches, and ghosts. I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark? and movies like Hocus Pocus became my all time favorite as a child.

We're getting closer.

For whatever it's worth, though I know it's not much, I have enjoyed this October month above all others. I have a special place in my heart for the crisp night air and changing leaves that All Hallow's Eve brings to us.

But you want to know the secret behind why I love it so much?

Stories.

I love stories. Always have. In third grade, I remember my dad "caught" me in my room reading a biography about Betsy Ross.

Ok, I realize this officially nerd-ifies me, but I don't care. Who doesn't like a good story? Who doesn't love a happy ending? Or a conflict that brings two characters together? I dare say that most of you can be found on a Friday evening watching some sort of movie. And movies are no more than a good story with plot twists, action, adventure, someone who needs to be saved, or something that needs to be found. I love people, so it makes sense that I would love stories because all good stories are about people (hello, I was an Interpersonal Communications major). So back to why I love Halloween...I love the stories of Halloween. There is an added measure of creepiness and fright. There is something about a good mystery that I adore because there is usually some good explanation for something that at the start seems haunted, especially on the kid type shows. Nothing more than a man behind the Great Wizard of Oz Mask, for example. Add to that my love for Biology (mostly I am fascinated with the human body and how it works), so stories about rotting bodies and scary diseases make me excited. Again, I realize that you see me on a whole new level now...sorry.

I really think God places within us the love of stories. The whole Bible is made up of them. Real accounts of people. A real story of love (God loves his people), conflict (Jacob and Esau) compassion (Jesus dies for his love, the church), adventure (Jesus calms a storm...hello), excitment (Jonah is INSIDE a whale), mystery (what will Heaven really be like?), and so much more.

I am going to stop before I start to sound too cliche, or worse, like a typical Christian (shuddering at the thought). It's just no wonder why we love stories. The world is full of them. Don't you just get a little excited when someone says, "Have I got a story for you", or "Oh, funny story...", or "that reminds me of the time when..."? It's true and you know it!

Anyways. I submit for your approval, the Hocus Pocus clip from above and these awesome clips from the new Harry Potter and Twilight films. They are wickedly awesome. Enjoy.






1 comment:

Nick and Kaley said...

Jenny, I am bummed because I have a Jehovah's witness child in my class this year :( Only mention of the harvest for me. Also, I love that you remember reading in third grade. It made me feel like what I'm doing is worthwhile. And finally, I am hoping both those movies will be the bomb.