Monday, October 27, 2008

I Prayed For A Blog Worthy Day...Seriously.

Ok friends. It has happened again. Another random encounter with a fabulously odd person. If I swore, I would swear God is up to something. Either it's because I get such a kick out of people who are strange or He wants me to have something particularly humorous to blog about. Not sure which. So, here is what happened today...

Evie and I were at the Towson Library. We were heading to the check out counter. My arms are burdened down with all our books, CD's, and Elmo DVD's. My bag is strewn over my shoulder and is about to fall down in less than a second. I have Evie by the hand so I can direct her away from her favorite activity..."arranging" the CD's. We pass this woman. Let me explain.

She's very, um shall we say, library-esque. She is maybe mid-40's. Longish hair, tossed in a bun on her head. A cotton turtle neck that I dare say is a bit faded and (gasp) a floor length denim skirt that went out of style circa 1988.

Her face lights up when she see's Evie. I almost think that maybe she knows Evie, from the way she is gawking at her.

But then she opens her mouth and says, "Hi Nina!!" And continues to walk past me speaking Spanish gibberish. I took French.

Ok, whatever. I carry on and don't think too much of it. That's not even the funny part.

After we check out, we are heading towards the exit when Crazy Library Lady comes up to me. She says (and this is a direct quote):

"I didn't mean to weird you out before. I know her name is not Nina. It's the Spanish word for girl."

Oh no! Did my face decieve me and actually show my true emotion towards her?

"You didn't" I say.


Then Evie hands her our book receipt and CLL looks down at it and says in ridiculously fluent Spanish "O, Seasme Street!!" Yeah, I didn't know you could say it with a Spanish accent, as an American. But, I distinctly heard it.

"Do you like Seasme Street?" CLL asks.

Evie normally gets shy around strangers (I've taught her "Stranger Danger!") So, I answer for her..."Yes. She does"

But I say to myself, "Yes. She gusta very much! Now goodbye."

No comments: