Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Funny Family Moment


So, I was babysitting for Timmy's kids on Saturday and we were playing in the living room. Laura came with me to help out and keep me company after the kids went to bed. Reid (age 4) was playing with a birthday card my mom had sent to my brother. It had Dr. Evil on the front from Austin Powers. When you open it up, Dr. Evil's voice rings out with some funny lines from the movie. Reid decided he wanted to go play with the card upstairs in his room by himself. About a minute or two later, he comes down the steps and says, "I need scissors".


Laura and I gave each other a look that said, "Why the crap does he need scissors?" He goes over to the desk, gets the scissors and then begins to head toward the stairs.


Whoa. Whoa. Wait buddy. "Where are you going with those scissors?", I say.


"Upstairs."


"Why?"


"I need to do something."


Of course I was planning on following him up to his room to figure out his plan. I envisioned leaving him alone in there and then a few minutes later finding him with chunks of hair on the floor, his blanket all cut up and maybe even something more disturbing. But before we go, Laura says, "Hey buddy. You need to carry the scissors right." He had been holding them pointing up towards his face. He didn't seem to pay her much mind, so I think she might have repeated herself. In fact, she went over to him and demonstrated how to hold the scissors, even putting them in the correct position and wrapping his little fingers around them. And then my precious Phoebe goes, "Yeah. He doesn't know how to do that."


I guess Timmy isn't interested in teaching his kids general safety rules.


Next time, we are going to learn how to stick our fingers in the light socket.


(For those interested, when I followed him upstairs, his plan was to cut the battery out of the back of the card because after he sat up there and tore it up, he figured he wanted the battery out as well.)

No comments: