Monday, September 22, 2008

I Think My Blog Killed a Man...

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my daily commute into the inner city of Balitmore. It was witty and light hearted, atleast it was until a man disappeared shortly after. You see, dear friend, I blogged about a man I named Jamal. He is a newsie for the Baltimore Enquirer. Or should I say "was" a newsie for the Balitmore Enquirer (See my blog entitled "Newsies, Murses, and Marathon Runners...Oh My!").

Oh friends. I am greatly saddened. In an ironic twist of fate, my friend Jamal the newsie has disappeared. It seems that after I wrote my blog about his amazing throwing capabilites and efficiency, he vanished! Maybe there is a correlation between these two incidents, my blog and Jamal's recent disappearance. I am unsure of where he is at the moment. All I know is that he was replaced with a man with skills that I would barely consider mediocre.

The replacement newsie, I will call him Dwayne, attempted to throw a Baltimore Enquirer into the window of a non-moving vehicle (we were stopped at the light) and actually missed. The newspaper splattered all over the concrete and Dwayne's dignity with it. I am hoping Jamal got promoted to some high profile spot, although in the newsie industry here in the inner city of Balitmore, I dare say it is difficult to find a more distinguised spot.

I am also hoping that Jamal is not currently under going any surgery due to a hit-and-run, or currently stuck in some hospital with a fatal disease. I would be heart broken as I somehow feel responsible. I believe my blog was the final hoorah for this man's fate. Maybe the CIA got a hold of my words and has trapped Jamal in an undisclosed location to keep him from *selling newspapers that could damage their reputation. Who really knows? More updates to follow. Until then, Jamal's status remains unknown. Man down. MIA. Call out an APB.


*I say "selling" and yet these papers are not sold. They are free. Always. A thought which perplexes my dear roommate, Laura. She simply cannot understand how commuters pay Jamal, or now Dwayne, for these papers if they are in their cars. But, there is no form of payment. None. Ever. This obviously brings up some general questions about how the paper makes money to not only produce said newspapers, but also pay the newsies their income.

No comments: