Monday, February 9, 2009

Walter, The Giant Man

On Friday night late, I went to Giant on my way home from Dan's house. As soon as I walk in, there is a man standing at the customer service desk (not an employee). On the counter was a large black duffle bag filled with large manila envelopes, papers, and other random filing nonsense. Next to the duffle bag is a Giant bag filled with his purchases. There is no one behind the desk. 

So, why friends is he still in the store if he already bought stuff? Is he waiting for a friend to finish his shopping? Waiting for a ride? Unsure of his current whereabouts? Oblivious to the scene he is causing as he walks a step or two, pauses, turns around, walks back, pauses looks up, then walks somewhere else a step or two, then pauses, etc. On and on this goes. He looked rather sketchy, allow me to explain: a short, balding man of about 45 years of age. Rounded around the middle, eyes that looked tired and droopy, a disgruntled look upon his face. I was intrigued. Scared. Curious. 

I go about my business. I literally need two items. I get them rather hastly as I am now creeped out by this man, we shall call him Walter. Walter continues to walk around aimlessly. Neither looking at products or making any sort of progress in the store. 

I am now standing in the only available line. Normally, at this time of night there is no line. If there is, it's a short one. As many customers are literally running in for one or two items (as I am), but I am currently standing behind a woman who has literally decided to buy the whole store. I applaud her effort. I realize now is the time to shop for your groceries. I can appreciate that. 

As I am watching this man wander aimlessly about. He eventually makes his way over to the line. Apparently, he is making another purchase. Now there is just no comprehension of what this man is doing. 

As we stand there and wait for the cashier to ring up about 5 bags of cat litter, Walter sneezes. Doesn't cover his mouth. And now snot is running down his face. AND HE DOESN'T EVEN BOTHER TO REMOVE IT. It sits. And sits. And slides. 

Until finally, he takes his arm across his face and wipes it off with his shirt. EEEEEWWWW. I am so disgusted by this display, I can't contain myself. Makes me wonder what other Cretans have touched the credit card machine that I now have to touch. And while I know he was behind me, who knows who came before me. Yick. 

No comments: