Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Confession.

I realized today when I was reading over my friend Ellen's 25 Random Things on Facebook how much of a fraud I really am! Oh friends. I will talk to you about the benefits of using reusable bags when grocery shopping until the cows come home (can we just stop and think about that cliche for a moment, please?), and yet, I will be the last to admit how I barely use them!

It's a sad thought to me.

My name is Jenny and I use plastic bags.

And it doesn't stop there! I talk about the benefits of eating locally grown foods, organic foods, and loading up on lots of fruits and veggies, and still put many gross-preservative-saturated-bad-for-you-unhealthy junk into my body. I guess it's hard to eat completely all natural foods. And the people who do, I tend to make fun of and call them tree huggers. But I do try my best to be earth friendly and eat as naturally as possible.

It's not for lack of trying for sure. I always have the intention of using cloth bags and if they are in my car, but full, I will dump out the contents of said bag just so I can use the bag to avoid getting a plastic bag.

I normally will remember when specifically going to the grocery store for something, but if for some reason, I go on a whim, I will use the plastic bags.

Side note: One time I was at Giant. I ran in to grab something small. So, when I was checking out, I told the cashier that I didn't need a bag...and she responds with (no lie), "well, you're getting one anyways"

I'm sorry. What? Aren't you the ones who tell us to buy your stupid bags and such?

I guess that's not so bad. But, then I think about how all the landfills will be filling with these stupid non bio-degradable bags and how my children's children will still be able to go a visit their grandma's 100 year old bag! "Come on kids, let's go take a walk to the landfill!"

And then I think about how they will still make these plastic bags even if I choose not to use them.

But why do we keep making them then? Why do we make things like styrofoam, if it's bad for the environment?

I suppose it's cheap to make, but still.


When I was in fifth grade, I decided I was going to single handedly save the rainforest.

I even started a club. I forget it's name...aaaaaaaand I think I was the only member? But, I found the list of activities this group was going to do including recycling, car pooling (like we could drive at the age of 10), reducing trash, etc.

I know, I was a nerd.

While we are on the subject of me being the biggest hypocrite ever, let's discuss children and sugar, or children vs. the TV.

I will tell you how important it is for children to get many nutrient rich foods and how they should eat as little sugar as possible, but then when grocery shopping, I get excited to feed Evie things like cupcakes and brownies, cookies and chocolate.

The whole TV thing, just don't get me started, that's another blog entirely.

So, there. You have my confession. I feel a lot better.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

For Christmas we got these cool bags called Chico Bags. They are small and can fit into a purse or in my case a diaper bag so you always have a reusable bag at the store. Their website is chicobag.com (so original, I know).