Monday, March 30, 2009

Is That Chicken???

One would think having a week off would supply me with more than enough time to write a blog; however, I do try to only write about things that seem worth my time and yours. I have been sitting on a good one for the past week, but have not found the time to sit down and blog.

Side Note: I found it much easier to blog while at work. You know, when I am supposed to be working and stuff. And, recently since Evie's mom is home I feel slightly weird blogging while we are sitting around waiting for the kids to wake up. Yes, this has been my life for the past few weeks. Maternity leave can not end soon enough.

So, here I was last weekend in VA Beach. Tori, Katie, and I went down for a race on Saturday. The Shamrock 8K. We got in late Friday night and because we had to pick up our race packets, we weren't ready to eat dinner until about 9:00. I was starving. Beyond starving actually. We decided to eat at this cute little bar type place. I will refrain from telling you the name, as I have found anytime I mention actual places, those places look at my blog (I know because I have a tracker on my blog and can see who is looking).

Anywho, hands down it was the worse dining experience I ever.
Long story short...

We ordered drinks (like most normal people) and the waitress came back to get our order, but had no drinks in her hands.

When she did finally come back with drinks, mine was completely wrong. I ordered a diet cream soda, and got a diet pepsi.

Then I had asked what was in the tossed salad before ordering it. I don't eat bacon, so I needed to make sure there weren't things in my salad I would not eat. All the salads on the menu had a list of ingredients, except that one. Probably because most normal people know what comes in a tossed salad. I know I do, but again...had to check to make sure they weren't adding things I refuse to eat.

The waitress responded with this: "spring mix, sprouts, and some other things"

Some other things? Other things? What if I have an allergy concern woman!? Know your menu!!!

Jenny: "Some other things? Well, do the other things include bacon?"

Waitress: "No."

Fine then, great. I then asked to add chicken to it too (this comes up later). So we wait and wait for our food. We barely see the waitress so I suck it up and drink my diet pepsi instead of what I really wanted.

Our food arrives. Tori seems to be complaining that she wanted a hot sandwhich and that she asked for a certain type of bread, etc. So, her order seemed off. Then I look at my salad. Friends, if this was a "tossed salad" then spin me around and paint me stupid.

Here is what was in it:

spring mix
sprouts
asparagus
artichoke hearts
heart of palm (a vegetable-like artichoke)
italian seaoning
a lot of oil
cherry tomatoes
NO CHICKEN


I am first ticked that there is no chicken. Then I am thinking, this is not what I ordered. This does not look like a regular tossed salad. She must have gotten it mixed up with something else. In fact, I remember seeing a salad with these ingredients on the menu and deciding that while it looked good, it was just not what I wanted.

So, I am in a pickle. I am beyond hunger at this point. Our waitress is never around. Do I suck it up and eat it? Or do I just wait to send it back.

I decided that I wanted my real salad.

So we track the waitress down. Tori tells her about her sandwhich. Then I say, "there's no chicken on this salad, plus I just don't know if this is what I ordered. Are you sure you grabbed the right salad?" (Nicely of course)

I wish I could tell you this was not the response I got from her:

"Well, did you dig down deep? Sometimes the chicken is at the bottom."
I dig up everything for her...still no chicken.

"Well, is it shredded??" She asks.
Nope. I don't see shredded chicken anywhere.

"Well, is that chicken?" She points to the heart of palm.
NO, CLEARLY NOT CHICKEN.

By "points", I mean she is basically touching my salad. And by "chicken", she meant the noodle like vegetable (the heart of palm) that is also NOT CHICKEN.

You probably had to be there to fully appreciate this story, but who doesn't know what chicken looks like?

She came back a minute later with my actual salad. It was a regular, tossed salad WITH chicken that you could see and didn't have to dig for. Praise God. Now let's eat!

2 comments:

tp said...

hahahahahahehehehehehohohohoh!
I am sorry but that made me laugh, a lot. That is CRAZY!

Steven. Mr L. Lammy. said...

what you are forgetting is that along with chicken, your new tossed salad likely also contained some form of nasty bodily fluid in it also (snot, spit, etc.). :)